Show me your calendar, I'll show you your future.
By Brian Carver, CMAA
“Your calendar is a scoreboard for your priorities.”Don’t tell me what matters to you. Show me what you make time for.
If you want to know what someone really values, don’t ask them. Just check their bank statement… or better yet, their calendar. You’ve heard the phrase, “Follow the money” because where the money goes, the truth usually follows. The same principle applies to time. As an Athletic Director, I used to spend most of my day just trying to survive, chasing tasks, answering emails, fixing the next fire before it burned too hot. Like a lot of ADs, I was doing just enough to make sure I didn’t get fired, but not nearly enough to actually lead. I wasn’t steering the ship, I was bailing water.
Learning to manage your calendar the right way is a skill. And like any skill, it has to be learned, practiced, failed at, relearned, adapted, and reengaged. I didn’t just wake up one day with time blocks and clarity, I had to earn it. But once I started treating my calendar like a leadership tool instead of a to-do list, everything changed. Because your calendar doesn’t lie. It’s a scoreboard for your priorities, and it’s time we started treating it like one.
Let's take a look at your calendar and how to manage it:
Audit the Noise
Before you can take control of your calendar, you’ve got to figure out what’s already filling it and be honest about what doesn’t belong. Too many of us are stuck in survival mode, reacting to every fire instead of planning with intention. We live in our inbox. We bounce from meeting to meeting. We fill our days with “urgent” things and leave no time for the important ones.
Start with a hard audit. Look at your last two weeks. Where did your time go? How much of it was spent developing people? Planning ahead? Investing in your own growth? Be brutally honest. If your schedule is loaded with time-wasters, then so is your leadership potential.
Your calendar should reflect your mission—not just your mess.
Schedule What Matters Most
Vision without structure is just a motivational poster. If something truly matters, it has to have a spot on your calendar. I’m talking blocked time for leadership development. Time for one-on-ones with your coaching staff. Time to think. Time to breathe. If you don’t make room for the important stuff, the urgent stuff will steal every inch of your day. I learned to schedule the fun stuff first! Schedule your workouts, your family time, your personal time to read or reflect, date nights, walking the dog, you name it but put the good stuff first! Then building everything else around that. Give every thing a space or block. Dedicate a specific time and a specific amount of time to the tasks you have and then leave it once that block of time has ended. (More on what to do if you didn't finish a task in the next section)
Build your calendar with your values in mind:
-
Want a stronger culture? Schedule weekly culture checkpoints with your staff.
-
Want more team unity? Set aside time to show up at all your programs’ practices.
-
Want to grow as a leader? Book time to read, reflect, or connect with other mentors.
If you don’t plan it, it won’t happen. Period.
Leave Room for Growth (and Life)
Here’s the thing that gets overlooked: your calendar shouldn’t be packed every minute of every day. But every minute of the day should be planned. Margin is not a luxury, it’s a leadership tool. Growth doesn’t happen when you’re buried in to-do lists. It happens when you’ve got space to think, to connect, to process, to adapt. Leave room for that! Give yourself thirty mins to refocus or relax.
Leave breathing room. Protect time for your family. Build in margin for the unexpected. Leadership isn’t just about doing more, it’s about doing better. And better starts when you give yourself room to reset.
Too many leaders—honestly, too many people—hide behind time like it’s some unmovable obstacle. “I don’t have time for that.” “My plate’s already full.” Sound familiar? I’ve said it. You’ve said it. But here’s the truth: those aren’t reasons—they’re excuses. And I once heard a quote that stopped me in my tracks:
“You can either make excuses or you can make a difference, but you can’t do both.”
That’s it. Time isn’t the problem, how we manage it is. So what's the next move? That’s on you. Own your calendar, and you start owning your future. Lead with purpose, not excuses. Because in the end, your legacy won’t be built on your excuses or what you meant to do, it’ll be built on what you made time to actually do.
Your calendar is more than a planner, it’s a blueprint for the future you're building. So take a long, hard look at it this week. Is it pointing you toward the leader you want to become? Is it helping your staff grow? Is it aligned with the vision you preach in front of your teams?Until next time, thanks for reading!
Brian Carver

Comments
Post a Comment