Imposter Syndrome

 

“Am I Even Supposed to Be Here?”

Wrestling with Imposter Syndrome in Leadership
By Brian Carver, CMAA

I remember sitting at my desk back in 2017, tired, frustrated, and completely deflated. I’ve written before about that season in my life, but what I haven’t talked much about was the mental storm I was quietly fighting through. Despite working harder than ever, pouring myself into the program, grinding day and night, I couldn’t shake the feeling that something was off. We weren’t winning like I thought we should’ve been. The results didn’t match the effort, at least not in my eyes! And that disconnect ate me alive. At first, I called it disappointment. Then frustration. But underneath it all was a deeper, more dangerous lie whispering in my ear: “Maybe you’re just not good enough.”

No matter how hard I worked, it never felt like enough. I began questioning everything, my leadership, my decisions, my own worth. Looking back, I now know exactly what I was dealing with. I had a textbook case of Imposter Syndrome. I’d never even heard the term before. But when I finally stumbled across it and started digging into the research, it hit me right in the face. This was me. And I know I’m not the only one and I knew that was something to all these feelings I had.

But where did it come from? Why would I have those feelings? Well, I hate to say that it was a by-product of my upbringing but on some level, underneath this confident demeanor that people often see, I was somewhat insecure and lacked confidence. I didn’t have an overly successful high school career as a player, I stayed injured most of the time. I didn’t really play college basketball at a high level at all. All questions that I had to answer in the interview process many times. Of which I would usually answer with some well thought out responses about my work ethic and how those experiences helped shape me, taught me how to grind out the process and to face challenges head on. But the truth was that deep down, in places you don’t talk about at parties, I often questioned my validity to be the head coach as well. Now fast forward to 2017, fifteen years as a head coach at the time and you add in many years of coming up short and you get…IMPOSTER SYNDROME! Those same type of questions also resurfaced late in 2003 when began to have conversations with administration about becoming the Athletic Director as well. I felt that my work ethic and passion for the job could elevate me over any hurdles in path. The Imposter Syndrome masked itself in a different manner as an AD. I tried to bury myself in tasks. Hoping that if I stayed busy and got a lot of things accomplished that people wouldn't question why a 29 year old second year Head Basketball Coach was the AD. (I’m hoping that someone picked up on the “Few Good Men” reference in this section)

just faking it and eventually everyone’s going to figure you out." It’s the persistent feeling of self-doubt and inadequacy, even when the evidence says otherwise. People battling Imposter Syndrome often dismiss their accomplishments as luck, timing, or just being in the right place at the right time. They struggle to internalize success, constantly compare themselves to others, and live in fear of being "exposed" as a fraud, even when they're thriving.

For coaches and athletic leaders, this can show up in some sneaky ways: questioning your decisions after a loss, feeling unworthy of recognition, or hesitating to speak up in leadership settings because you assume everyone else in the room knows more than you. You’re showing up every day, doing the work, but deep down, you’re still wondering if you belong.

What Causes It?

The causes of Imposter Syndrome can vary, but they usually stem from a few core areas. High-achievers and perfectionists are especially prone as people who set the bar so high for themselves that anything short of perfection feels like failure. It’s also common among leaders who take on new roles or enter unfamiliar environments, where the pressure to “prove yourself” can be overwhelming. For some, it starts way back in childhood, growing up in environments where success was expected, but never celebrated.

Social comparison plays a huge role too. In a world where we’re constantly seeing everyone’s highlight reel, on social media, in professional circles, at clinics and conferences. It’s easy to believe you’re the only one struggling. But here’s the truth: you’re not alone. Imposter Syndrome doesn’t mean you’re broken, it means you care deeply about getting it right. And that’s where the work, the growth really begins.

For me personally, I felt that I just didn’t understand why that coach, that school, or that particular team is always successful and yet, for whatever reason, we were not. It started with well, they just got our number or they are just in our heads. What I realized after many discussions was those folks had just as many issues as we had and maybe even more. The perceived success (at least on the scoreboard) hid a lot of the issues they dealt with. 

Overcoming Imposter Syndrome: One Step at a Time

The first step in overcoming Imposter Syndrome is calling it what it is. Name it. Own it. Don’t let it stay in the shadows where it grows louder. Once you recognize it, you can begin to challenge it. That means actively reminding yourself of the facts, your achievements, your preparation, your growth. Keep a “proof list” if you have to. Write down the wins, the lessons, the things you've overcome. When the doubt creeps in, pull that list out and let the truth do the talking.

Next, you’ve got to reframe your inner dialogue. Instead of, “I’m not good enough,” start practicing, “I may not know it all, but I’ve got what it takes to figure it out.” Confidence doesn’t mean never doubting, it means refusing to let doubt have the final word.

And finally, stop chasing perfection. Perfection is a trap. It convinces you that unless everything is flawless, you don’t belong. Instead, aim for progress. Show up. Learn. Grow. Fail forward. Every step in the right direction is a step away from the lie that you’re not enough.

4 Practical Steps to Overcome Imposter Syndrome

  1. Keep a Confidence File
    Start a simple document, journal, or even a folder in your email labeled “Wins.” Anytime you get a compliment, a thank-you note, a successful outcome, or overcome a tough challenge, document it. When that voice in your head says, “You don’t belong,” pull out the receipts. Let the facts fight the fiction.

  2. Speak Truth Over the Lies
    Replace your negative self-talk with statements that are true, specific, and earned. Instead of, “I’m not qualified,” say, “I’ve been trusted with this because of my experience, effort, and ability to grow.” Sounds corny? Maybe. But mindset is a muscle, and what you repeat, you start to believe.

  3. Say Yes to Stretch Opportunities
    Don’t wait to “feel ready.” You grow by doing, not by waiting. The best way to prove to yourself that you can is to put yourself in a spot where you must. Volunteer to lead that meeting. Take on that challenge. Say yes, then show up and figure it out.

  4. Talk to Someone Who Gets It
    Leadership can be lonely, but it doesn’t have to be. Find a mentor, a peer, or a coach who understands the weight you carry. Sometimes just voicing what you’re experiencing can break the power it holds. Vulnerability isn’t weakness, it’s wisdom.

Leading Others Through It

If you’re in a leadership role, especially as a coach, athletic director, or mentor; your words carry weight. You may have someone on your staff or in your program quietly struggling with Imposter Syndrome right now. They won’t come out and say it. They may not even realize it. But you’ll see the signs: hesitation, over-apologizing, avoidance of new responsibilities, or brushing off praise.

Your job? Call out the good in them, consistently. Recognize effort, not just results. Celebrate growth. Let them know that doubt is normal but doesn’t define them. Share your own story, too. When leaders get real about their own struggles, it gives others permission to stop pretending.

Create a culture where mistakes aren’t punished, they’re coached. Where asking for help isn’t weakness, it’s maturity. And when you see potential in someone who doesn’t yet see it in themselves, loan them your belief until they find their own.

Final Whistle: Own Your Worth

Imposter Syndrome doesn’t mean you’re broken. It means you care. It means you’re stretching into places where growth happens. But you don’t have to live in fear of being “found out.” The truth is, you’ve earned your seat at the table. You’ve done the work, taken the hits, and kept showing up. Leadership isn’t about being flawless, it’s about being faithful. So stop shrinking back. Stop waiting to feel "ready." You don’t need permission to lead, you just need to believe that who you are, right now, is enough to start making a difference. Because you can’t lead with confidence if you’re still questioning your own worth.

Own your space. Own your growth. Own your impact.
Because you do belong here.

Brian Carver


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Show me your calendar, I'll show you your future.

Honor Code - Character Matters